January 23, 2011

Ruth's Science Fair

What's cool about Ruth is that this is her 3rd year doing science fair and it isn't even required. She keeps doing it year after year because she likes it. With Reflections, the kids do it because I really push them along, it's something I know a lot about and I really encourage them. But science fair is something I've never been good at, so Ruth's had to be her own motivator.

This year, Ruth tried her hand at an Engineering project. Engineering is a totally different beast than typical science fair. Rather than the scientific method, you have to follow a method of designing and redesigning. Ruth designed a bracelet that holds hand sanitizer. She got very good feedback from parents about her invention, the kids, for the most part, weren't all that interested.

She was the only entrant in the Engineering division at her school and she won first place. She goes on to the district level next month.


Other Random News

Now that the holidays are past and Jared's Baptism and our visit from the Barnums over, things have really settled down around here.

Chaz and Kaitlin have started new semesters at school. Kaitlin got straight A's again this last quarter, Chaz is still hanging in there. The new semester brings some new classes for both. Kaitlin is starting up a semester of Theater, Chaz is also taking Theater and an Auto class (at his parent's insistence). To take Theater, Chaz has also started early morning (6:30 am) Seminary.

Jared appeared in a program at school this week. He had a small speaking part that freaked him out, but he was "scave" (scared and brave at the same time) and did his part perfectly.

Even with the new top on our rabbit, Summer's, bunny run, she is still escaping somehow. She is one smart bunny.

Legos are the new thing for Jared. He's been spending his baptism/birthday/christmas money on lego sets. Here is a picture of a bed Jared made for one of his lego ninja guys. Even lego ninjas deserve a soft place to sleep.


I sang a solo in church today, and then did another 60+ minutes of singing time with the children. I do two 20 minute singing times, one for senior, and one for junior primary, and then I do another 10 minute singing time with the toddlers. Add that to the six other songs I sing with the kids during opening and closing exercises, that's over 60 minutes each Sunday I spend in front of the children. I'm tired now.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Do you still have a voice today after all that singing?

I can't even imagine - I am in the stake choir for stake conference this year and 1 1/2 hours is about all my untrained voice can handle.

Barnums in Lock Down We have now been in quarantine for four weeks.  Ruth and Jared are both doing online school, Chuck and Ruth are also ...