February 4, 2018

A Date is Set

This isn't mine but mine looked just like this.
I went to the orthopedic surgeon last week and did an exam and xrays.  The exam showed I had more than just adhesive capsulitis; I also have calcific tendinitis.  This means that I have a pocket of calcium growth around the tendons of my rotary cuff.  He believes it's this calcium buildup that is causing my prolonged intense pain and extream manifestation of frozen shoulder.  His guess is that it's the calcium buildup that set me on my downward spiral with my FS back in November.   I was left with a few options on how to proceed some less aggressive, some more aggressive.  I chose a middle option of having a procedure called MUA. They'll put me under and then yank my arm all around to rip apart the scar tissue.  The hope is that this will also encourage the calcium to start to break down.  There is a chance that the calcium will not break down and then I'd have to go in for surgery to have it cleaned out.  So I'm having the manipulation done on the 15th.  They told me to plan on a week of recovery, but I should regain a lot of my range of motion within a few weeks of the procedure.  Within six weeks or so I'll know if it worked on the calcium or if I have to go in under the knife. 

Of interest to my siblings is that the doctor said that they see frozen shoulder mostly in people of northern European descent.  One of the first things he asked me is if I had ancestry from that area. 



No comments:

Barnums in Lock Down We have now been in quarantine for four weeks.  Ruth and Jared are both doing online school, Chuck and Ruth are also ...