Our week started with getting my car repaired. After calling a few places, the first place we took it to called us and told us they were able to find the part cheaper and they could do the repair for less. It was the best deal we had found so we went and got the car fixed. It passed emissions and we are good to go again.
On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Ruth getting laid off - again
If you will remember, Ruth was laid off during the summer and then re-hired. Well, this week she was laid off again. They just called her and said "don't go into work." So that's that. She'll look for a new job when the debate season is over.
On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me... A mouse named Dilbert
One night before bed, Chuck saw a little grey mouse in our bathroom. We set up some traps and went to bed. A few hours later I heard the little guy eating one of my rice bags right under where I was sleeping. Two days later Dilbert met a violent death.
On the fourth day of Christmas my true love gave to me... A loopy Becky
After a trip to the doctor this week, I received a referral to a physical therapist, to see what they can do for my shoulder, and a prescription for a drug that is supposed to lessen nerve pain. One sideeffect of this medication is that I've woken up every morning loopy and dizzy. I've been glad that I started after my last day of work, because I haven't been able to drive. I've been told that these sideeffects will go away after the first few days. I'll give it a few more days. Meanwhile, my family has enjoyed making fun of me, especially the morning I started crying while reading the "Terms and Conditions" of a new app.
On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me... A visit from Kate and Ben
It's been so fun to have Kate and Ben here for a visit! They came in on Friday and will be with us until Tuesday.
On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Some individualized ornaments
On Christmas eve we made our yearly family ornament. I love this tradition because every year each individual personality shines through their creations. We finished Christmas Eve by eating homemade chow mein and spring rolls, and playing handbells, and games.
On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me... A wacky Christmas tale
We've always reenacted the Christmas Story on Christmas Eve. For the last few years, we've had everyone find their own costumes from whatever they could find from around the house. Figuring I probably have over 50 costumes in my workroom and under the stairs, this leaves many possibilities. That is why this year we had a steampunk Mary and Joseph, a pioneer angel, harry potter monks, and a pirate peasant. Ruth also entertained us by playing all three wise men, each wise man had a different hat and distinctive voice and mannerisms. (unfortunately, Ruth was the one who was taking video so we don't have any video of Ruth or of Jared. You'll have to trust me on how hillarious they both were.)
On the eighth day of Christmas my true love gave to me... a blessed Christmas day
As I type, the rolls and salad are done and we are waiting for the lasagna to come out of the oven for Christmas dinner. We woke up to many presents under the tree and I was impressed at how thoughtful each gift was. We have spent the day playing new games that we received and listening to Christmas music. We will end the day by playing in our family band and watching one of our favorite Christmas movies, Harry Potter.
![]() |
| Jared as King Harod |
![]() |
| Ruth as all of the wise men |









No comments:
Post a Comment