July 6, 2014

Family Float

It was the 150th anniversary of the town where my mom's farm is located and my mom was on the town celebration committee so we decided to enter a float in the town parade.  I've blogged about this parade before, how it goes down the street one way, turns around and comes back (so you get to see it twice) and I've been in it once or twice, but this year we were going all out.  Each family got assignments and my mom and sister did most of the heavy lifting painting the backdrop and sides.

Parade Highlights: To truly appreciate our float you first have to get a taste of the parade.

There is a lot of farm equipment in this parade. Often families are riding on this farm equipment.

There are ATV's in this parade and that guy in the middle is on a ridding lawnmower.

This guy.

I told Ruth that she could never be a princess in this town because she doesn't know how to ride a horse (nor do we own one, or an ATV...or a riding lawnmower).

This year there was a tank in the parade, along with the normal military and emergency vehicles.




Our Float


Our Frozen Float Most everyone dressed in Frozen costumes. We had Elsa and Anna, Rapunzel and Flynn, Olaf and Sven, and a lot of towns people.

In addition to throwing candy, my nieces also threw snowballs.   Our float won an award for best family entry.

Each family was assigned to paint a character from the show. Here is Marshmallow my sister painted.
Elsa, Anna and Rapunzel.

A group picture. Everyone had a good time!

After the parade all the girls in princess dresses stayed in costume and took pictures with some little girls that were there. The Anna dress Ruth is wearing is another dress remodel I did this week.  Kaitlin found the dress at a thrift store and we bought it and remodeled it. It was a lot harder than I expected and we ran into a few snags along the way but I think it turned out really well.


Our House on Tuesday Night

Ruth and I were discussing this week if we were a normal family or not.  I honestly don't know.  This is how my life has always been, so I'm sure we must be on the scale of normal somewhere.  Here is what was going on around our house on Tuesday and you be the judge.

Kaitlin agreed to give a few private drawing lessons to a friend's son, so we had a to clear a spot for them in our new "craft room" formally the "art studio".

The new craft room is full of our costume making projects. On the left is the pattern for a tasset I'm making for my elven armor, on the right is an awesome fur coat I scored for a buck at a garage sale that will become Astrid's hood.

A guitar in every room.  Not every, but at least three or four.  Ruth started guitar with a new teacher who organizes the kids into bands. So Ruth is now part of an all girl rock band.  I'm still teaching a couple of students over the summer.

Minecraft.

Making Olaf for the parade float.

This is what the Anna dress looked like on Tuesday.  I had removed the bodice from the skirt and had purchased the fabric and ribbon we needed.
My favorite jelly roll pan has been a drying rack for these skulls for a week now.  Ruth made them out of salt clay. They are for her Astrid costume.
Kaitlin's friends are all leaving on missions in the next two months.  It's a hard time.


2 comments:

Lisa said...

Your talents continue to amaze me. I know who to come to when I need help.

Amy said...

I am still awed by the parade, float and costumes. The parade we went to was awful this year, yours looks so much better.

Barnums in Lock Down We have now been in quarantine for four weeks.  Ruth and Jared are both doing online school, Chuck and Ruth are also ...