July 22, 2012

Here we are, the original designers of the float, in front of the finished float. It's be a fun journey.
  Parade Preview

On Monday we went to the Days of 47 Parade Preview where our float was proudly displayed amongst 35 or so others.  Every year when I go to this event I am amazed at the creativity, resourcefulness and hard work of the volunteers that are called upon to create these moving marvels.  This year was no exception.  Some of the floats astounded me.  While our float was very traditional there were several entries this year that were like nothing I've ever seen before. All in all our float wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst either. It was colorful and beautiful and we were proud to have made it.  I'll be walking the parade with the float on Tuesday.  We are entry #97 of 114 total. We totally hope that the parade is on time so that we get our 15 seconds on TV.  We will also find out if we win any awards that morning.  We are hoping for at least one.

This incredible pioneer air ship is the boom arm of a crane and the body of the crane is at the back covered in cotton clouds.
Many of the floats had photo ops and activities to do.

My favorite float was this train that really rolled on the track back and forth and shot steam out its nose.
This is our float. The kids are doing the same expression as is on the cat behind them.

Young Woman Camp (aka Girl's Camp)

Our group was the "Happy Shining People"
On Tuesday morning bright and early the girls and I were off to camp.  I've never been up to the property and it was very nice.  At camp we did canoeing, archery, zip line and crafts. Evening firesides were full of silly songs, goofy skits and a small mix of religious admonitions.  It was a different experience going (this is my 7th time as a leader and I went 6 times as a girl) when I wasn't in charge of anything and could just enjoy spending time with all the girls.  It has left me with a new perspective of camp and I think I'd be a better leader if they ever ask me back again. Mostly I learned that leaders need to spend less time sweating the little stuff and more time hanging out with the girls.  I was able to take up my guitar and play a little, which was fun.

Kaitlin is doing one of here trainings.
Kaitlin was a youth leader and taught some classes on extreme weather preparedness. She did a good job and had a great attitude during all the camp.  I was really proud of her.  This was Ruth's first time at camp and she also seemed to have a fun time.  Both Ruth and Kaitlin really liked the archery and Kaitlin even asked for us to buy a bow.

We came home Friday afternoon, tired and dirty. Even now, I don't feel like I've fully caught up on my sleep.

Kaitlin and I made a great canoeing team.  Here we bumping canoes with our camp director, Sis Vance.

The hike down to the canoeing lake was quite strenuous.

Kaitlin and Ruth on the archery range. Ruth is the one in the back.

Ruth took her first ride on the zip line.

The Bachelors

Chuck was able to arrange to work at home this past week so he could hang out with Jared.  The reports I heard were that Jared ate pizza at every meal and spent his days watching whatever shows he wanted on TV, playing on the Internet and leveling up all his Skylanders (wii game).  Jared seemed disappointed when we came home. It wasn't all fun and games, Chuck did replace the alternator on Kaitlin's car.



2 comments:

Amy said...

Canoeing, archery and a zip line! Sounds like fun. Hope you get a chance to catch up on sleep this week.

Laura said...

Chuck & Jared can come and hang with me and my girls anytime. I watch a lot of TV and eat a lot of pizza too! :)

Barnums in Lock Down We have now been in quarantine for four weeks.  Ruth and Jared are both doing online school, Chuck and Ruth are also ...