June 19, 2011

Zumba

Since being out of school Kaitlin has come with me to the gym a couple times a week. We work out on the bikes and the elliptical machines and every Thursday we go to Zumba. Now, Zumba isn't my favorite work out, but I admit that it has grown on me. It's easier than step, and I figure I'm getting a dance lesson thrown in for free. I've never taken a dance class in my life and generally figure I have two left feet. I've never put my girls in dance either. Kaitlin and Ruth both are a little resentful about it, but every time I see a dance troupe of little girls in skimpy outfits and thick makeup, grinding their hips to some loud rap song, I feel vindicated. Anyway. So this is the condition of things when Kaitlin and I go to Zumba class. We hang out at the back and the teacher yells, "Salsa" or some other thing, which I'm sure means something to most of the people in the class but it means nothing to me. Then the teacher will start counting "1,2,3,4,5,6" as if this would be helpful. I try to watch the teacher's feet but when they are a blur I'll seek out other people in the class that seem to be confident, but who's feet I can actually figure out. The teacher says not to worry if we are new and to just keep moving. I guess I'll keep considering myself in the "new"category as long as I attend the classes. I admit that after about six classes I'm getting a hang of most of the basics and Kaitlin is really catching on after only a couple. If nothing else, we are having a good time.


Eeny Meeny Miny Mo

We've put in a lot of hours looking for flooring again this week. When you can see a brown walking paths in your carpet, it's time for a flooring update. We had really set our hearts on bamboo but after extensive research have decided against it. Nasty stuff about Formaldehyde in the low end bamboos (bambies?) and an unwillingness to pay for the good stuff. So we decided on an oak, but when we brought a box home and put it together we realized it was too dark. So back we, and it, went. I probably have 20 samples sitting here on my floor that I've gouged and scraped and pounded. I thought I was settled on a maple, but then today Chuck brought home some more samples and I'm waffling again. I can't believe people actually like doing this sort of thing. Torture I say!


Happy Father's Day


Happy father's day to my dad. When I was playing church basketball as a teenager, even though I drove with friends to the games, sometime during the first quarter I would often see my dad's face at the sidelines cheering for me and then after the game he would disappear. He was like that, always a quiet supporter of anything I tried or did. Happy Father's day also to my husband, who has spent many hours this spring teaching Jared how to play baseball, who spent a whole day detailing our new little car so it wouldn't stink, who just today was hosing mouse droppings off our wagon so Ruth could use it for a school project, and the thousand other wonderful things he does for our family.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Ha ha - Zumba. I don't think I've tried that yet. I think I would be just like you - trying to hide out in the back, but unfortunately it always seems like there are mirrors everywhere and I still have to see how silly I look.

Good luck on the flooring - I think any major purchase of importance is stressful and what a relief when it's done!

Barnums in Lock Down We have now been in quarantine for four weeks.  Ruth and Jared are both doing online school, Chuck and Ruth are also ...