October 26, 2014

Pumpkinpaloosa

When I picked up the flyer for Pumpkinpaloosa, a county wide activity sponsored by the library, and that the first prize was a Kindle Fire, I knew we had to compete.  I mean, who can be more creative or carve better pumpkins then us?

We bumped into this little guy who was also dressed as the Doctor
When I finished carving my pumpkin my hand and arm hurt. I mean, really. My pinky still hurts even today.  I guess my pumpkin carving muscles aren't what they used to be.

When I saw that there were other activities offered other than the pumpkin carving contest, I knew we had to dress up. Ruth and I dressed as the 10th and 11th Doctors, from Doctor Who.

When we got to Pumpkinpaloosa we saw there was some ringers.  I mean, shouldn't there be different categories for those of us carving the old fashioned way, and those carving with dremels and other specialized pumpkin tools?  Like an amateur and profession division?


When Ruth won first place in the teen division we were really excited!  After she carved it, I suggested she also paint it, seeing as we were in a competition in the daytime and it probably wouldn't be lit. She did a great job on the painting and that's what pushed her over the top.

The Dalek, the Portal and Toothless the Dragon
When we got home I took more pictures of the pumpkins, especially my Dalek.   I don't believe the judges fully appreciated the Dalek pumpkin. if they were Whovians I would have won for sure.  Jared's pumpkin was also based on the Portal comic book, which he worried they were not familiar with.   Maybe next year we should label them so that the judges can more accurately see our genius.  I did get 3rd place in the adult division, so that is something.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Yours looks awesome even though I don't what it is :)

Barnums in Lock Down We have now been in quarantine for four weeks.  Ruth and Jared are both doing online school, Chuck and Ruth are also ...