November 25, 2012

Our Thanksgiving

My Mom participating in the annual snowflake cutting.
I got a call a couple weeks ago from my Mom confirming with me that I was hosting Thanksgiving.  "Well, sure!" I said.   And let me tell you, hosting Thanksgiving is hard work. Now, I've cooked a few turkeys before and they've been fine, but it had been years. So I hit the Google, posted on facebook and even struck up a conversation with an old lady at the grocery store to learn how to cook the best possible turkey.  Then there was the matter of the things I didn't own.  I didn't own a roaster pan. I didn't own a gravy boat. I didn't own a platter. I didn't own enough plates.   But the family all chipped in, and we got the shopping done, the house cleaned, the rolls made, Ruth made the pie crust and Jared cubed the dried bread. Chuck helped me brine the turkey and I learned how to use my convection oven.  We borrowed a table from my neighbor (thanks Julia) and moved the couches and it all worked out.
Ruth, Matt and Mary are snowflake cutting. I'm cleaning up. I think Stacy is getting more food.
 The family came; the turkey was perfect; there was plenty of food; everyone ate; there were lots of helpers and it was all good.  We had a lovely time visiting and the kids had fun playing with cousins and it was a wonderful day. So when people ask me how my Thanksgiving was I reply, "It was a success."

For those interested here is the brineing recipe and instructions I used.


Ruth singing during her SBO skit (Ruth in the middle)
Ruth's Election

We are sad to report that Ruth didn't win her SBO election.  Last Wednesday she and 8 other students put on skits for the entire 7th grade to try to earn 4 spots.  Ruth wrote new words to a popular song and sang while her friends danced.  She did a great job.  I was so proud of her.   She was sad, but not to discouraged about the loss. Even Lincoln had his setbacks, right?  She is looking forward to running again in the fall.


Kaitlin's Wings

Kaitlin reached a new milestone this weekend. She drove the hour and a half to her Dad's house all by herself. She reports that she only got lost once.  She loved the new freedom of being able to come and go as she pleased and it only gave me a little heart attack and only makes me feel a little ill (even now as I type this) to think of her driving that far alone. But imagine what it must mean to a girl who has been shuffled back and forth between parents her whole life.  Now she is free.


Ruth's "airplane" resembled the golden snitch.
Jared's Paper Airplane Contest

Last week for Family Home Evening Jared sponsored a paper airplane contest. He made a large target and put it up on the wall. The task was to hit the target with an airplane.  Ruth's creative paper-wad airplane with wings was the easy winner.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wow - Thanksgiving at your house! That's what you get for getting a beautiful new kitchen :) Glad it turned out - do you love your convection oven? I miss mine. But love the new dishwasher that only has to be run every other day and the deep sinks that hide the pile of dirty dishes much better.

Sorry about Ruth, but what a good experience for her. Congrats on the successful driving. Hopefully the worry gets better, but I doubt it. My mom (and aunt) worried for years about me driving from Provo to Fairview.

Barnums in Lock Down We have now been in quarantine for four weeks.  Ruth and Jared are both doing online school, Chuck and Ruth are also ...