September 9, 2012

Back to School

Ruth and Kaitlin started back to school two weeks ago.  At Ruth's new middle school they had a special half day where only the new students attended, giving them a chance to find their classes and learn how to open lockers.  Ruth's goal for her new school is to make as many friends as possible, to build base support for her run for Student Council.  Kaitlin is a junior this year. I love when she comes home and tells me about her day. She does all the voices and does the actions and her humerous stories (often 30-45 minutes long) always have me laughing out loud.  She has discovered the joy and freedom of driving and has even been brave enough to drive to school a few times.  She's in Acapella Choir, ballroom dance and is taking three (yes 3!) AP classes.


He loved his screaming monkey key chain.
Happy Birthday, Chuck

For Chuck's birthday we went out to eat at Five Guys, which is a local chain that sells tasty burgers. I liked the grilled onions and Jared liked the never ending supply of fry sauce.  Afterwards we enjoyed cake and icecream and we watched a movie.  Chuck got some cloths and later in the week bought himself a used smartphone.  This is the first smartphone for our household so everyone is excited.


Canning

I wish that our peach tree produced 20 delicious peaches to eat every week throughout the summer, rather than 300 peaches all at once.  Every year along with Chuck's birthday also comes canning time.  This year I canned 18 quarts, 12 pints of jam, froze 5 gallons and then gave away the rest. 


Kaitlin and my friend Julia painted the Cave of Wonders.
Aladdin

Aladdin rehearsals are in full swing and we start dress rehearsals next week. The shows are September 20th, 21st, 22nd and 24th.  We are cobbling together Ruth's costume and we spent all morning Saturday painting the set.  This show isn't going to pull together very well (because of the complexity of the script and lack of experience in the staff) but I keep telling myself that it's okay because it's just children's theater.  Ruth is doing great in her part and will be a highlight of the show.

2 comments:

DeeDee said...

You are amazing, Becky. I thought of you on Saturday painting your sets. I hope you had a good turnout of people to help you.

Congrats on the canning. It is a lot of work.

Enjoy your last few years with Kaitlyn at home. I miss Diane and Joseph, though I still get to talk with them once a week, (Diane via video chat) but it just isn't the same.

Amy said...

What a beautiful kitchen to be canning in!

Excited about Aladdin - don't know if we will be making it to this one - still looking for a house and we have a birthday and baptism coming up soon. But we wish you both the best!

Barnums in Lock Down We have now been in quarantine for four weeks.  Ruth and Jared are both doing online school, Chuck and Ruth are also ...