Happy Birthday to Me!I had the best birthday! It started the day before when Chuck brought home a bag of decorations and decorated the house with signs and streamers.
That night my niece and nephew Mary and Oliver came to stay with us for a sleep over, and we had my favorite Papa Murphy's Veggie pizza. We played games and watched movies.
The next morning Chaz and I went to Hello, Dolly! practice. We are in an outdoor theater, but the day was sunny and warm. It's the first warm rehearsal we've had.
In the afternoon I enjoyed some Chocolate Revel bars (my favorite!!!) made by Kaitlin and then played outside with the kids. That evening Chuck and I went on a date for dinner and then we tried out new mattresses. Finally, we ended the night with a quiet movie at home after putting the kids to bed.
It was an awesome birthday! Thanks to all of you for your cards, calls, emails and gifts! I feel very loved.

Ruth Sings! 
Ruth's elementary school choir performance was this week. Ruth sang a solo called "Are you from Dixie". That's me muddling along on the guitar. She was really nervouse but I think she did great.
Pinky Power
Let's play a game! I want you to hold up your left (or non dominant) hand fingers straight, palm facing towards you. Now, curl your pinky down into a little ball while keeping the other three fingers absolutely straight. Now extend your pinky forward at a 90 degree angle. Do so with enough force to say, click a mouse button, or to make a firm tapping sound on the table. Keep the other three fingers still.
This is the task I've been trying to accomplish in my guitar playing for the past month. Chuck says it's like I'm doing some sort of physical therapy, moving my pinky over and over. In guitar speak, I'm trying to hammer on the high e string while holding the low E with my ring finger.
In a month I've gone from not being anywhere close, to now being able to do it a little bit. Hey! progress is progress! Because I skipped practice the day before, and only did twenty minutes yesterday, today rather than pinky power, I have pinky paralysis.

Ruth's elementary school choir performance was this week. Ruth sang a solo called "Are you from Dixie". That's me muddling along on the guitar. She was really nervouse but I think she did great.
Pinky Power
Let's play a game! I want you to hold up your left (or non dominant) hand fingers straight, palm facing towards you. Now, curl your pinky down into a little ball while keeping the other three fingers absolutely straight. Now extend your pinky forward at a 90 degree angle. Do so with enough force to say, click a mouse button, or to make a firm tapping sound on the table. Keep the other three fingers still.
This is the task I've been trying to accomplish in my guitar playing for the past month. Chuck says it's like I'm doing some sort of physical therapy, moving my pinky over and over. In guitar speak, I'm trying to hammer on the high e string while holding the low E with my ring finger.
In a month I've gone from not being anywhere close, to now being able to do it a little bit. Hey! progress is progress! Because I skipped practice the day before, and only did twenty minutes yesterday, today rather than pinky power, I have pinky paralysis.

3 comments:
So glad you had a great birthday! Sorry we missed you on Saturday.
Ok, so I guess I wouldn't be very good on the guitar. I can't bend my pinky finger without my ring finger bending too!
LOL...I've never heard of pinky paralysis before! I'm glad your birthday was so great. I"ll have to check out those chocolate bars!
I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday! The revel bars sound great, I think I'll make them to bring to Standards Night tonight.
Post a Comment