October 19, 2008




Vakama Toa of Fire


I mentioned a few weeks ago that Jared wanted to be a Bionicle for Halloween. Well, I've been working feverishly on a costume for him. It was a fun challenge.



On Saturday Vakama Toa of Fire made is debut at our city's Pumpkin Festival. He entered the cotume contest. Unfortunately he didn't win (mostly store purchased costumes won in his category) but Jared still had fun. I, however, felt a bit robbed. After all that work to lose out to some kangaroo a mom bought at Costco was discouraging. Oh well.
























Primary Program



Today was my the Primary Sunday program at our church. 140 children sang and said lines for a 45 minute presentation. The whole thing went pretty smoothly. I had designed a system where children spoke at four different microphones. It all went well in practice, but during the performance the sound system started a loud hum, then the hand held mic I was holding went dead. I was on one side of the stand, and the mic was plugged in at the other side. So I dashed out the side door, ran around the whole chapel, entered in at the other side door and then went on the stand, crawling under the sacrament table in my dress to unplug the mic. It caused a bit of a commotion, but as soon as the mic was unplugged the humming stopped and the program continued uninterrupted.

After the program I was lamenting that we had had that problem. The technical aspect of the presentation was my job and I had felt as if I had blown it. Chuck cheered me up by telling me that everyone in the congregation had watched me jump up and fumble around under the table and then the loud humming (not feedback but static) stopped. He said that noone looked at me as if I had failed, but saw that I was so smart and capable that I was able to immediately act and correct the problem. So I ended up looking good... yeah... I meant for that to happen like that... yeah.

All in all, the program was a big success. Both Ruth and Jared had parts and they did a great job and they sang really well too.

Whew! I went home after church and took a nap.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Congratulations on the program being over - whew! Relief! I am glad that it went as well as it did and the one technical difficulty could result in such an entertaining end. I'm sure all the primary kids enjoyed watching you fix the problem :) And Jared's costume is amazing. I don't think your kids realize what an awesome mom they have. Everyone probably thought it was store-bought. What did you make it out of? Red foam?

Ang said...

That costume is awesome! And the primary program yesterday was honestly the best one I've ever seen. You know it was good when you made the bishop cry :)

Becky B. said...

You guys are making me blush. Gosh.

Barnums in Lock Down We have now been in quarantine for four weeks.  Ruth and Jared are both doing online school, Chuck and Ruth are also ...